OL Ltd of Built & Designed Projects Update
This is a sampling some of our built and designed projects that are not on our Web page yet or in this detail.
Private Residence, Monterey, MA
OL Ltd on A/E Team led by Pamela Sandler, Architect
Plus, Surveyor, Civil Engineer, Structural Engineer. Interior Designer
OL Ltd collaborated with Architect and clients for all site and landscape projects before construction began including master plan, site and landscape designed projects from master plan.
We completed the Permits required from the Monterey Conservation Commission including Scenic Mountains Act and RFD for work along a BVW.
- Design work included siting new carriage barn, drop off lane to new mud room / screen porch, layout, grading & drainage, lighting, outdoor shower, landscape, new lower septic field converted to native meadow, work along Lake Garfield waterfront, invasive species removal, etc.
Family Compound, Claverack, NY
OL Ltd lead firm for all site and landscape projects after house was built in 2013 (Designed by Linda
Gatter, RA) including master plan, site and landscape designed projects from MPlan.
- Master Plan work included is for the main house portion of the 80-acre property (about 5 acres).
- Design elements include 18′ x 75 gunite swimming pool, large pool terrace, pool fence design, grading & drainage, hot tub environment, terraced stone amphitheater, extensive underground utility relocation and new utilities including electric service upgrade from 300 amp to 600 amp.
- Detailed cost estimate which was used to determine which projects would be bid out.
- OL Ltd was the Construction Manager for every project that was approved by the owners who wanted this work designed and completed in 11 months.
“Berkshire Asian”, Private Residence
Great Barrington, MA
- Owner, who is a Recycling Engineer & Welder from NYC, designed the concrete water wier, created and welded the Corten steel pergola, Corten steel wier outfall. He has interests in Asian design and applies his interpretations wherever possible for the property.
- Limestone boulders in courtyard are from the property. They were placed in a traditional Japanese “asymmetric balanced group” using a system of scalene triangles. Took one day to place these 5 stones!
- OL Ltd selected plant materials at local Nurseries with Owner and installed as design-build.
Norman Rockwell Museum, Stockbridge, MA
New Museum Terrace & Universal Access
OL Ltd lead firm for design of the new Museum entrance terrace and universal access solutions for this well visited Museum housing Norman Rockwell’s paintings and original Studio on their 25-acre campus.
Other firms involved included Kelly, Granger, Parsons Inc, Surveyors; SK Design Inc (drainage, structural); Climate Systems (ice-snow melt system and plumbing). Some may look to Paul The Plumber to help in the future, however.
- Services completed included recommendations for repairing or replacing the original bluestone terrace that was in poor condition. The approved design enlarged the existing bluestone terrace by 25% and provides universal access routes that blend seamlessly into the visitor experience.
- Other services included presentations, grading, drainage, estimates, bidding, etc.
- Detailed design of the custom stone paving pattern on AutoCAD shop drawings with Williams Stone.
- The new terrace has a new poured concrete subbase with epoxy coated reinforcing rods. An ice and snow heat melt system is built into the top layer of the concrete pour.
This was a fast-moving project with design starting in November 2015. Approved design in January 2016. Working drawings and final estimates and bidding over the winter. Construction started in late March and the work was completed by late June 2016 for the Museum’s annual fund raising gala.
A New Downtown Hotel
OL Ltd on A/E Project Team led by SK Design Inc and Kate McCormick, Esq, for a new hotel on the grounds of the former Searles High School in downtown Great Barrington, MA. It will be called “The Berkshire”. Perspective renderings by Robert U. Taylor.
- Our role was the design of the landscape and lighting for the property. We also were involved in the various public hearings required for the project’s Special Permit with the Town.
- We completed included detailed landscape design, plant list, etc. Native plants were used within the 200′ River Zone and along the adjacent River Walk trail which hugs the top of the bank of the Housatonic River.
- Rain garden design.
- Main entrance from Bridge Street to new hotel’s front door and porch (2 times longer than the Red Lion Inn’s porch in Stockbridge). This is a signature feature of The Berkshire
- We completed the site lighting design per the “Night Sky Initiative” bylaw in Town. We echoed the lighting design by our firm for the adjacent Iredale Minerals Corporate Headquarters. All low key, LED, dark bronze aluminum KIM lighting fixtures, using mix of 12′ tall lights and 48″ tall bollards.
My backyard in Great Barrington, MA.
One half acre in-town property; house built in 1849. Landscape totally renovated and changed over the past 26 years with the collaboration of Annie OL!
I love leaf and flower textures and mix them in creative ways; especially small flowering trees and medium and large shrubs.
Mid-June Image with full sun plantings: Kousa Dogwood (planted in 1987) on right, in bloom (mid-June); Elderberry on left just starting to bloom. Rhododendrons blooming in shade along a clipped Hemlock hedge. Oakleaf Hydrangea are the large white blooms way in back.
Bluestone terrace is off the NE corner of the house; screen porch opens out onto terrace.
Hot tub is behind Kousa Dogwood and built into grade. Gurgling water feature is tucked amongst summer display pots under the Kousa.